Insomnia and anxiety are very common problems around the United States. It has been estimated that at least 40 million American adults suffer from one kind of anxiety disorder or another, that is about 18% of the population. These are considered to be the most common mental health problems facing people in the country today. Despite the fact that there are effective treatments available, the vast majority of sufferers do not get the help they need. About two thirds of all sufferers do not get treatment. Somewhere between 50 and 70 million people in the country suffer from problems sleeping and most people do not get the amount of sleep that is recommended by the National Sleep Foundation. The good news is that there are many natural remedies for insomnia and anxiety.
- Get more exercise. There are few problems that are not helped by getting more activity into your day. This can help with high blood pressure, diabetes, weight loss and is one of the natural remedies for insomnia and anxiety. When you get aerobic exercise, your brain will release endorphins, which make you feel happier. People who work out on a regular basis may also just feel better because it gives them more energy. It is not clear how an increase in exercise works to lessen the severity of insomnia and help people fall asleep but it does. If you work out, you should not engage in strenuous aerobic activity right before bed but do it earlier in the day.
- Take vitamin D. This is naturally synthesized by the human body when people are in the sun but a lot of people do not get enough. Vitamin D can make people feel better in a number of ways. Having enough of the important vitamin helps people with their mood but it can also help with pain of the bones and muscles and ward off the development of diabetes type 2. When people do not have enough of it, they can be vulnerable to depression.
- Try melatonin. This natural substance has the most impact on the human body when we are very young but it can work magic as we age. Melatonin is considered to a marvelous substance for combating the signs of aging. It is also very helpful to regulate the sleep/wake cycle, which is also referred to as our circadian rhythm. Getting the right amount of sleep can help with anxiety and melatonin has been known to promote quality, restful sleep. Melatonin is one of the best natural remedies for insomnia and anxiety.
- Drink some chamomile tea. Most people know that a cup of hot chamomile tea can sooth people when they are anxious. It can also be a great natural remedy for joint pain, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. It is a great, natural anti-inflammatory so if you have any kind of bone or muscle pain, it can help. It is also good for improving a person’s sleep patterns. Some people also use it for relief from pain from menstruation.
- Get some rhodiola. This natural substance has been known to reduce stress levels, improve memory, increase energy levels and put people in a better mood. The way this works is known. When this is ingested, it improves the way 5-HTTP moves around the brain. This is an important component of serotonin. Serotonin is important in helping people manage stress, fear and sickness. It can also be helpful in prompting the immune system to attack cancer cells.
- Employ good sleep hygiene practices. There are a few lifestyle changes that you can make to get better sleep, which can help with anxiety. Here are a few sleep hygiene steps you can take:
- Go to bed and get up at the same time every night.
- Do not do a lot of other things in your bedroom such as watch television or play a video game.
- Avoid looking at a screen for 30 minutes before you go to bed.
- If you cannot fall asleep, after 30 minutes, get up and do something else such as read a real book or magazine.
If these natural remedies for insomnia and anxiety do not work for you, you may want to talk to your doctor as there are medical treatments available for both.