Sleep apnea is a serious medical problem that affects millions of Americans. It has been estimated that at least 18 million people have this sleep disorder. During sleep, the sleep apnea sufferer will stop breathing for up to more than a minute at a time. These episodes are referred to as “apneas” and can occur hundreds of times a night. The gold standard in treatment for sleep apnea is the use of a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. There are a number of companies who are in the business of buying or selling used CPAP machines.
Many people who have looked into the companies that are experts at buying or selling used CPAP machines, acquire a machine but then have a hard time using their machine. This is the whole reason there are people and businesses who handle buying or selling used CPAP machines, people get them and then never use them. It is crucial that if someone suffers from sleep apnea they do use their machine as directed because when you deprive your brain of oxygen so many times throughout the night, the health consequences can be serious.
If you have a CPAP machine, here are some ways to get used to using it comfortably:
- Make using your CPAP machine a part of your routine. Anytime you lay down for a nap or to go to bed at night, you should try to use your CPAP machine. When you do not use your CPAP apparatus as directed by your doctor, you cannot get all of the health benefits of the machine. Using them less than directed makes it harder for your body to get used to the machine.
- Adjust your settings as you need to. There are a lot of things you can do to make your CPAP machine more comfortable to use. There are different kinds of CPAP masks and CPAP nasal pillows that you can use to make it all feel better on your face when you are sleeping with it on. You can talk to your doctor about the proper CPAP settings to get you the health benefits that you need.
- Check the pressure. You may need to work up to the pressure your doctor wants you to use for your CPAP machine. You can work up to that over time. When you are working with companies that are buying or selling used CPAP machines, you can make sure you get one that has the ramp function. This starts the pressure off at one level for when you are falling asleep and gradually will increase the pressure as you sleep. This is one way to get used to the increased pressure and will get you the benefits of the machine that you need.
- Nasal congestion can be eased with saline spray. If you find that using your CPAP machine causes some congestion, mild congestion is common with this kind of treatment for sleep apnea, you can use a saline solution spray to help with that. This will make using the CPAP machine a lot more comfortable.
- Your CPAP mask needs to fit. It may go without saying but if the CPAP mask does not fit, it will not be comfortable and you will not ever get used to wearing it and will not use it the way you should to deal with your sleep apnea. When the CPAP mask is too large and you have to pull the straps to be more tight on your face, the result can be a rash. When the CPAP mask is too small, you will not be able to get the seal you need to have the CPAP machine work properly. In either case, the CPAP mask will not be comfortable and you will not use it.
- If your mouth, nose or throat is dry, use a humidifier. Most CPAP machines have a heated humidifier included in the machine to help people deal with dry mouths, noses and throats. The moist, warm air can make a huge difference in how you feel after a night of wearing the CPAP mask and using the machine.
Getting used to CPAP machines takes work but will be worth it when you start getting decent sleep.