Fixing teeth with dental implants or other options is important. If you’ve ever had missing teeth then you understand the importance of cosmetic smile designs. Dental veneers and other options are available depending on what you want and what your dentist recommends. However, these are the three most common options people use:
This is usually used to replace one tooth or several teeth but not usually the entire set. Implants are basically posts that are put in the draw through surgery. They act as anchors for the false tooth. Here are some of the advantages of implants:
- It is the closest you will get to natural teeth.
- The surrounding teeth will not be affected by the procedure.
- They can last for a long time when taken care of properly.
- It could take as short as one or two visits to place them.
- Implants have been known to help the jaw bone not to shrink after losing teeth.
However, there are also disadvantages to implants. These are as follows:
- They do require surgery which means that they won’t work for everyone.
- The placement could take longer and require additional visits to the dental office.
- Implants tend to be a little more expensive than other options.
A fixed bridge fills in the space where the teeth are missing. It is bonded in place by cement and can only be removed by a dentist. Here are some of the advantages of getting a fixed bridge as your cosmetic smile designs:
- They do look almost like regular teeth as well as feeling function normally.
- You don’t have to take them out in order to clean them.
- They are less expensive than implants.
- They do not require surgery.
The disadvantages are as follows:
- Because these types of bridges are permanent they are more expensive than removable bridges.
- The teeth next to the bridge can be affected.
- It may require some extra effort in order to be able to clean underneath the replacement tooth.
Partial dentures can be removed and must be in order to clean them. The way that they work is that the replacement teeth are attached to a plastic base that is made to perfectly match the color of your natural gums. This plastic usually covers framework made of metal that fits over your gums. It may also have a clasp that attaches to the surrounding natural teeth. Because you have to take them in and out, partial dentures can take some getting used to and may feel weird for the first couple of weeks. However, it will make it a lot easier to eat and talk when you have the teeth in. There are some advantages to removable partial dentures:
- They are probably the least expensive option of them all.
- They are easier to repair because they can be removed from the mouth.
There are also several disadvantages:
- They are easy to lose or break.
- They are very uncomfortable at first.
- They can be embarrassing when you have to take them out at night or to clean them.
- As your mouth changes over time and as you age you may have to have the denture we made to fit better.
Having a good smile is very important. Many people agree that this is the one thing that remains attractive over time as we age. If you properly take care of your teeth when you are younger and as you get older, then the likelihood that you will need replacement teeth will be a lot less. However, if you do not, you are at high risk for gum disease and eventual tooth loss. Once this happens, there is no set way to replace missing teeth. It’s an important decision that you need to refer to your dentist for. Cosmetic smile designs can come in all different options so you may need to be referred to a specialist like a periodontist or a prosthodontist. Whatever the case maybe, you will probably have a lot of questions regarding how to go about getting your full set of teeth and smile back. Don’t be afraid to talk to your dentist because he or she should be able to answer all of your cosmetic smile designs questions and if they do not know the answer, they will no doubt find out for you before you have to make any decisions.