Sleep apnea is a problem around the planet. In the United States, at least 18 million people suffer from the serious sleep disorder. When people suffer from it, they will stop breathing during the night. These episodes, called apneas, can last up to a minute and take place hundreds of times a night. The health consequences can be dire as the brain is deprived of oxygen for a significant amount of time. The continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is one of the best treatments for the disorder. Many people have a hard time wearing and using the device. Some worry that the CPAP replacement parts will cost too much. Whatever the reason, many people do not use their machines enough to get the benefits. Here are some ways to make the experience of using CPAP machines better.
- Wear your CPAP mask around the house. Experts recommend wearing the CPAP machine masks when people are doing other things around the house. They say that the more often the masks are worn, the easier it will be to get used to having them on the face and then it will be easier to fall asleep while wearing them. They say that it may take some patience to get used to wearing the device and recommend wearing it around the house for at least a few weeks. Doing this will also help people who find that wearing the CPAP masks makes them claustrophobic.
- Practice good sleep hygiene. Sleep experts recommend that people who suffer from insomnia practice good sleep hygiene. What that means is you should go to bed at the same time every night, you should not watch TV or look at a screen that emits blue light for at least an hour before you go to bed, you only go into your bedroom for sleep and you are disciplined in this. If you need to read in bed, read a magazine or a real book. If you are in bed and cannot sleep for 30 minutes, get up and do something else and then go back to bed. If you follow these rules when you are getting used to your CPAP machine, it will help you get to sleep with the mask on.
- Get a CPAP mask that works for you. There are options when it comes to CPAP mask pillows and masks and the CPAP replacement parts. You can work with your sleep doctor to find equipment that works for you and your situation. What works for one person may not work as well for another. You should try out different models to see what nasal CPAP mask will work for you. It is possible to find masks that are more comfortable.
- Use a humidifier to prevent your mouth from getting too dry. People who sleep with their mouths open may have a problem with mouth dryness when they use a CPAP machine. This can be prevented by using a chin strap and setting the humidifier to the right setting. These can be very important CPAP replacement parts to keep on hand.
- Keep your mask on at night. Some people have problems with the masks because they will pull them off while they are sleeping. If you have that problem, you may be using the wrong kind of mask or one that does not fit you properly. Getting the right mask and the right fit may fix your problem. If nasal congestion is causing the problem, using the right setting on the humidifier can help a lot. Other people who still pull their mask off during the night will set an alarm to wake themselves up so they can make sure they are still wearing it during the night as directed.
CPAP machines and the CPAP replacement parts may be covered by your health insurance. It is important to get used to wearing the machine as directed by your doctor. Untreated sleep apnea can lead to a host of serious medical problems such as heart disease. It has been estimated that about 38,000 people die every year due to complications from sleep apnea, according to the National Commission on Sleep Disorders Research.