The United States has a serious problem with obesity. Nearly 67% of all Americans are considered to be obese. Research shows that if a person can lose between 5 and 10% of their weight, they can lower their chances of developing heart disease. The problem many people have is that they want to lose weight and they want to do it quickly. Losing weight too fast can lead to health problems such as the development of gallstones. To avoid this, experts at weight loss clinics recommend a slower pace of losing one pound a week. There are some other things you can do to lose the weight in a healthy manner.
- Focus on adding healthy foods to your diet. If you only focus on not eating certain foods, you are going to set yourself up for failure. Add in healthy fruits and vegetables such as red and yellow peppers, delicious and sweet strawberries and cherries. It has been shown that people who eat more almonds can lose weight. When you add in these tasty foods, you will enjoy your meals and get more of the healthy things you should be eating and less of what you should avoid.
- Work movement into your life. There are a lot of ways to become more active that do not involve going to the gym. You can walk more. You can take the stairs rather than the elevator. Get a bike. Go out dancing. The idea of getting more activity into your life does not have to mean you go to the gym to work out. If you find you do not have time to do a long walk, do shorter ones. They all add up and can help you lose weight and become more healthy. All weight loss programs should include some exercise. If you watch television, get on a treadmill or stationary bike while you are watching.
- Make the dishes you love healthier. There are ways to enjoy the recipes you already love but to make them healthier. When you make dishes with cheese, pick a low fat variety. There are also low calorie and low fat versions of a lot of foods. You can opt for lower fat ice cream or frozen yogurt. If you make your meals with more fiber, you will feel fuller sooner and then end up eating more.
- Pay attention to your beverages. People often overlook their beverages when they are trying to lower the number of calories they get. Some of the coffee drinks at Starbucks have more fat than a Big Mac and they are loaded with sugar. Even fruit juice is loaded with sugar. If you switch to water or diet soda, you will be able to cut down your calorie intake.
- Drink a lot of water. Being properly hydrated is a key part of staying healthy and losing weight. Your body will be better able to process the foods you eat and use them for fuel when you are properly hydrated. It has been noted by people at weight loss clinics that people often mistake thirst for hunger so keeping thirst at bay can keep you from snacking when you do not want to. Experts at medical weight loss clinics say that if you wait until you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated so make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day.
- Pay attention to your portions. Use smaller plates and bowls to eat less. In one study, people were given bowls that could be refilled from a hose under the bowl. People who ate soup from those bowls just kept eating as long as there was soup in the bowl. They kept eating even after they were “full.” So, if you start out with a smaller plate or bowl you will eat less. This is a simple thing you can do to make sure you do not eat more than you really want to.
If you need help with your weight loss efforts, weight loss clinics are there to offer assistance. These tips can be helpful and effective at helping people lose weight or keep it off once they have lost it and stay healthy along the way.