Pain is a part of everyday life for many people in the United States. It has been estimated that about 100 million Americans suffer from chronic pain. At least 15% of those pain sufferers say their problem is neck pain. Many think that this is a natural and normal part of life but there are things that people can do to deal with and improve it. People can buy microwavable heat wrap online or look to quality neck heat pads or
- Use heat to help the pain. One strategy that is employed by many people who suffer from neck pain is to use heat to help ease the tension in their muscles. By using a heated neck wrap or a heated neck pillow for between 10 and 20 minutes the muscles in the neck can be relaxed and the pain reduced. This can be applied up to six times a day. When you buy microwavable heat wrap online, you should make a point to also get something to go between the wrap and your skin. Neither heat nor cold elements should ever be placed on the skin directly.
- Use cold therapy. Some people prefer to use cold to deal with neck pain. You can use a cold pack or a bag of frozen peas on the area. This is not as easy as when you buy microwavable heat wrap online but if you keep some frozen peas or a cold pack in the freezer, you can have that ready when you need it. Like the heat pads, you should keep this on the area for between 10 and 20 minutes up to six times a day. Again, protect your skin by not putting the ice pack directly on your skin.
- Try aromatherapy. The use of essential oils for therapeutic reasons has a long history. It has been used for at least 6,000 years. The use of these oils was not limited to one geographic area. They were used in ancient China, India, Greece, the Roman Empire and Egypt. Today aromatherapy neck wraps can be used to ease the pain and help you feel better.
- Drink enough water. The human body needs a lot of water to stay healthy. The spine and neck need water to keep the individual discs healthy and to maintain the proper height and the correct alignment of the spine. The discs in the neck and spine are composed of about 80% water. Keeping well hydrated is one way to keep the neck healthy and will reduce the pain level.
- Go to a chiropractor. One of the things they are best able to help with is neck pain. By putting the entire spine back into the correct alignment, the pain that many people suffer in the neck and lower back can be greatly reduced. Having this done on a regular basis has also been shown to help with other problems ranging from insomnia, stress and depression to high blood pressure. Going to a chiropractor may prevent the need for surgical intervention for neck and back injuries. That is always a good thing.
- Look into acupuncture. People’s experience from acupuncture varies but it has been shown to be very effective at treating neck pain for a number of people. If you are suffering from neck pain, you may be surprised to find that it may be covered by your health insurance policy. Check with your carrier and try this form of treatment. Acupuncture may ease other problems in addition to your neck pain so you should ask the professional you see about things such as insomnia, stress or if you are trying to quit smoking.
- Try water pillows. These can be great for people who suffer from neck pain. They allow people to modify the firmness of a pillow. You can add warm water to make it a heat pad as well. People can play around with the amount of water they put in the pillow and change how it feels. The same can be said for the temperature. Just as when people buy microwavable heat wrap online, these versatile pillows can be very effective at helping people cope with neck pain.
While it may seem that neck pain is a part of life, it does not have to be.