There’s no denying that many Americans today are struggling to lose weight. Today, more than 30% of adults in the United States is considered obese and more than 50% of Americans are trying to lose weight is some kind of way. The World Health Organization defines obesity as having a body mass index (BMI) greater than or equal to 30.
The reasons for weight loss struggles can vary. For some people (about 50%), it’s a lack of self-discipline, whether that entails straying from a workout plan or cheating on a diet. Many folks often make New Year’s resolutions to get in shape and get to the gym. Sometimes this is easier said than done. Eighty percent of people break New Year’s resolutions and 28% of Americans aged six and older are physically inactive.
But maybe this time will be different. Maybe you’ve already signed the forms, paid the money and plunked down money for new clothes because you got a new gym membership. If you’re a newbie and need a place to start, here are five tips for finding a gym whether you’re looking for gyms in Boston or gyms in Bedford tx.
- Know what you’re after: Clearly you joined a gym because you want to get in better shape right? But what is it exactly that you want to do? Are you looking to increase strength through strength training? Are you hoping to shed body fat? Are you wanting to get into a specific type of workout?
Knowing what you want to do will help you get the most out of your membership and either you or a trainer you work with will know how to structure your workouts to help you achieve your goal. Keep in mind that if you’re new to work out, you can start out with small goals and then change them over time.
- Come with a plan: Whether you’re looking at gyms in Iowa, gyms in Arizona or gyms in Bedford tx, it always helps to go to one with a plan in mind. Going to a new gym and seeing a variety of equipment on the gym floor can overwhelming, but it’s important to remember that not all of it might be of use to you, at least not right away. By having a plan, you can stay focused and stick to your goal of getting to the gym on a regular basis.
- Stick to a schedule: If you’re in the beginning stages of a new workout plan, you’ll want to stick to a schedule to make sure you get a workout in. It can be very easy to be overwhelmed by working out when a lot of people are there with you and you might be tempted to skip a workout. Don’t. If you prefer less of a crowd, schedule workouts for less busy times.
- Don’t be afraid of induction: If you’re a gym newbie, you might feel embarrassed to admit that you don’t know where to start when it comes to setting up a workout plan. Fortunately, your new gym will have an induction where you’ll get some one-on-one time with a trainer. Don’t be afraid to use that time to soak up knowledge. If you’re wanting to work on a specific part of the body, ask about workouts designed for that. Find out where all the equipment is, what classes are offered and what the schedules are for those classes; bottom line: don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Keep the focus on you: Whether you go to gyms in Bedford tx or gyms in Los Angeles, there are going to be workout warriors. Don’t feel pressured to keep up with them or feel embarrassed about your workout plan. Chances are good that folks are focused on their own workouts and you should be too. By focusing solely on what you’re doing, you’ll stay confident, be able to keep track of your progress and reach your workout goals.
Making the most of a gym membership or a fitness center membership can be easy if you develop a doable workout plan and stick to it. Stay focused on your goals and your progress regardless of whether you’re working out at gyms in Bedford tx or elsewhere.